The Beloved Sutro Beach Cottage
The beloved “Sutro Beach Cottage” is a rebuilt-craftsman style home with rich history, endless style and a list of contemporary-living features rarely found in San Francisco homes.
Originally built in 1884 as the gardener’s cottage for Adolph Sutro, first Mayor of San Francisco, 542 46th Avenue is a warm, inviting home on a grand scale. Rebuilt with loving attention to detail and stylistic integrity for its owner by renowned architect, Aleck Wilson, this home became a favorite of photographers and has been featured throughout the Pottery Barn Design Library book series, as well as numerous catalogues including Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, and Restoration Hardware. Natural light pours in from all sides through magnificent windows and skylights, yet the home feels private because of its lush garden surroundings. The home feels airy and flows beautifully between spaces that are open and defined, its antique wide-plank hardwood floors adding a layer of continuity and warmth throughout. Thoughtfully crafted built-in benches, shelves and nooks provide amazing storage and display opportunities in addition to additional comfort and sense of organization. Paneled wainscoting, reclaimed redwood surfaces coupled with natural stone and high-end hardware throughout make this home feel luxurious at every touch.
There are breathtaking vistas of the ocean from each of the upstairs bedrooms as well as the living room and decks on the main, bedroom and roof level. This home is a dream for anyone who loves to gather large groups of friends and family for meals and barbecues – the professional kitchen is a natural place to gather and work together, the indoor and outdoor living space give plenty of room to roam.
The neighborhood is SUPERB: 2 blocks to the Ocean beach, 3 blocks to Lands End, and 4 blocks to The Cliff House. Super easy commute to the Peninsula and downtown and excellent access to great schools. Community has a serene residential feel – neighbors look after each other and currently planning block party!
- Fully detached home at the crest of the hill overlooking Ocean Beach
- Nearly double wide lot, rarely found in San Francisco
- 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths including a luxurious master
- Gym/craft room
- Additional ~1300 square feet of garage & storage space
- Large professional kitchen with state-of-the art appliances
- Solar panels (owned)
- Exquisite yard planted with mostly California natives with timed drip irrigation. Featured on the SF Native Plant Society garden tour for several years
- 2 car side x side garage and additional off-street parking in private driveway